El Escape Caribeño was our hotel destination as we arrived in el caribe. The Carribean side of CR definately has it´s own groove and flair... think Rhasta Spanish, or Spazta as I have coined it. I literally heard someone say ¨Que tal, ´mon!¨ It´s like Okie Spanish, ya´ll, but Jamaican styled!
It´s hot and humid here, and I think that my clothes will never ever be dry again. Even the ¨quick dry¨towel from REI is struggling to get moderately dry in this thick air. The cabinas that we are staying in are wonderfully quaint, even if they have no warm water. I´ll take the hammock on our porch over the warm water any day.
Day one saw snorkeling in the carribean off the shores of Cahuita, a small town about 1 hour out of Puerto Viejo. Visibility wasn´t great, but it was still a great experience. There is something VERY unsettling about submerging your head under water and then taking a big deep breath. After a minute of getting used to my new breathing tube, I had a great time checking out the fish and coral under me.
After snorkeling we went through Cahuita National Forest where we saw a very playful white faced capuchin monkey as well as several sloths, and other monkeys. If anyone ever has the opportunity to eat pineapple from Costa Rica TAKE IT! It´s the best pineapple I´ve ever eaten. The meat is white, but the taste is incredible!
The evening rounded out with me renting a bicycle and biking for about one and a half hours through the countryside of Puerto Viejo and it´s surroundings. It´s beautiful here, even if it is so dang humid I have to peel my clothes off!
Dinner was fantastic at Chile Rojo. Great little beach bar that faces the coast. Great music and great food. The group I am traveling with is wonderful and we have a lot of fun together, although we are very different in all aspects.
Tonight was the night that everyone noticed that I´m the only one not drinking. Took a lot of crap and felt a lot like the elephant in the room! I enjoyed my virgin Piña Colada, however, and got just as crazy as the rest. Interesting to be the token Mormon of the group! More on that later.
As for Puerto Viejo, I sort of feel like it´s just like many of the dates I have been on... you are glad for the opportunity, but when all is said in done, you can´t stop thinking: I´VE HAD BETTER.
Time to see what Tortuguero has in store!
Friday, December 21, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
love the comparison to the date...it's funny cuz it's true!
It is sooo good to hear from you. Time just gets away from you down there and all of the sudden it has been a week. Sounds like you are doing amazing things. Miss you- Salty
Post a Comment